Lord Mayor’s Coach on public display Saturday 13th June 2015 from 11am to 4pm
As part of the year long celebrations for the Mansion House 300 event, the Lord Mayor’s Coach will be on public display on the forecourt of the Mansion House, Dawson Street, Dublin 2 on Saturday 13th June from 11am to 4pm.
The coach was built in 1791 and is an integral part of the history of the Mansion House and the Lord Mayors of Dublin who have used it throughout the centuries.
The Mansion House will be open to the public from 12 – 4pm and people are welcome to walk through the House. A ticketed lecture by Dr. Philip McEvansoneya will take place from 11am to 12pm entitled “A colourful spectacle revived: The State Coach of the Lord Mayor of Dublin”.
The Lord Mayor’s coach dates back to 1791 when it was made by William Whitton of Dominick Street for use by the Lord Mayor of Dublin. It cost £2,690.
The coach made its first appearance on 4th November 1791 in the annual ceremonial procession that marked the birthday of King William III. It was used for important occasions during its early years but from 1840 onwards, as politics changed in Dublin it appeared less frequently. In 1932 it was used for the Eucharistic Congress and was then put into long term storage. In 1975 Dublin Corporation decided to restore the coach and it made its first reappearance in the 1976 St. Patrick’s Day Parade and since then has led the Parade every year.
To book a place for the lecture “A colourful spectacle revived: The State Coach of the Lord Mayor of Dublin” please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel. 01 222 6200. Tickets are on a first come first served basis.